Tuesday, May 1, 2012

An Interview with J. H. Bográn



J. H. Bográn, born and raised in Honduras, is the son of a journalist. He ironically prefers to write fiction rather than fact. José’s genre of choice is thrillers, but he likes to throw in a twist of romance into the mix. His works include novels and short stories in both English and Spanish. He’s a member of the International Thriller Writers where he also serves as the Thriller Roundtable Coordinator.






SN: The Assassin's Mistress cleverly leaves out bits here and there that the reader is easily able to fill in on her own. How do you decide what to cut for a short story? Or did you even write those bits to begin with?
JHB: It’s a balancing act. Some of the missing bits were never put to paper, but I knew them in my mind and heart. I made a choice to trust the reader to understand and feel for my characters with the slices I was providing. On the other hand, the fun part of a surprise ending is planting bits and clues that, on a second pass, the reader is surprised to have missed the first time.

SN: Your mother is a journalist. Did you ever have the desire to follow in her footsteps?
JHB: I did follow her footsteps, for a while. For ten years, I helped her run a tourism magazine in Honduras, my home country. From her I learned some of the basics: working against a deadline and, most importantly, the ethics of the trade. A journalist must always tell the truth. I like to write lies—okay, I call them fiction—so I understood I had to walk a different path from her.

SN: What writers have influenced you the most?
JHB: The three accomplished masters that made me think I could write are: Ken Follett, Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy. Recently, I had the opportunity to participate with other thriller writers and discuss our reasons for writing thrillers: our answers were so varied and consistent at the same time. Here is the link to the ITW Thriller Roundtable.



Many of the things there are invaluable: pics of my wife and kids for inspiration; a Darth Vader mug; a wood cross, a paper vase and a lamp made by kids in school; my desk is not a desk but a drawing board inherited from my father in law; dictionaries, papers and a New Orleans map for my current WIP.










SN: What are you working on now?
JHB: I have two very special projects: one is a thriller novel Highland Creek that was just signed with Rebel E-Publishers, so I’m running a final draft before the heavy editing begins. My next book is a mystery about a serial killer prowling around New Orleans.

SN: What question should I have asked that I didn't?
JHB: Interesting question. Perhaps asking about why I decided to release The Assassin’s Mistress as a kindle title. I figured that, being a short story, it had a better chance of finding an audience if I took advantage of this new service to author. It’s a bit of an experiment, but one I’m pleased so far. During the last week of April, the story peaked at #3 in the Action and Adventure genre.







A random encounter leads to deception, love and murder. While vacationing at a ski resort, professional hitman Robert Prescott meets a strange and beautiful woman.
They discover passion and embark into a dangerous game hiding their relationship from her powerful husband. Then a further twist of fate makes Robert’s occupation collide with his new found love.  



Links:
Twitter: @JHBogran




Thanks, José, for stopping by Suspense Novelist. I really enjoyed The Assassin's Mistress. I wish you continued success.

It's all better with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment