Saturday, December 14, 2013

OT: Favorite Holiday Recipes: SPICED PECANS

My sister, Lala Corriere, shared this recipe with me in 2004. It remains one of our favorites.


SPICED PECANS


2 cups water
2 cups plus one teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
3 cups vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine water, 2 cups sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne in medium size heavy saucepan. (I use the same dutch oven I use to make peanut brittle.) Heat over medium high heat. Cook, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until the mixture becomes slightly thick. About 10 minutes.

Add the pecans and cook for about 5 minutes more, stirring frequently. Drain the pecans in a colander.

Heat the oil to 360 degrees in a deep frying pan. Carefully add the pecans and fry until they are a deep mahogany color, about 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Remove quickly with a slotted spoon an drain on parchment paper. laid out so they won't stick to each other. (This means you're gonna need a LOT of parchment paper.)

Combine the salt and remaining cayenne and sugar, along with the cinnamon. Sprinkle on top. Let cool.

Can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week.



It's all better with friends.


2 comments:

  1. This recipe does not say how many pecans you should use. Did I miss it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE RIGHT!

    And that's because mine doesn't either!

    I use a 1 pound pacakge. And between you and me, I double the salt/sugar/cinnamon/cayenne for the final dusting.

    Thanks for catching that!

    ReplyDelete