Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Importance of a Title

When I go to the Menu button for my television cable service, the first thing I see as I scroll through the schedule are titles. Usually I'm looking for a movie to watch.

If I see a title that intrigues me I can get more information.

But only...

IF I SEE A TITLE THAT INTRIGUES ME.

With the cable menu program, there's not even a cover that can enhance the intrigue.

Titles are important.

I read recently that some research indicated many readers responded with interest to the word SECRET in a title. I immediately began second guessing the working title of my newest manuscript where arson plays a huge role, FLAME GAME. I couldn't come up with anything that didn't sound like someone having an affair.

Are there words that catch your attention?

I think for me they might be DEATH, MURDER, LIES

or, since I've published three books: RED TIDE, MISSINGS, SACRIFICE.

But seriously, are there words in a title that make you look at the description? Does it depend on genre? Curious minds want to know.


It's all better with friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment